After Certified Sustainable Building Advisor coursework, pivoted from film production to a sustainability consulting firm and its online community, WeHateToWaste.com. Proactive and dedicated to community, finds ways to integrate a green perspective while serving on the Canton Conservation Commission and the Democratic Town Committee. Able to navigate and create allies within local government structures for win-win scenarios. Helped to spearhead a large-scale community planting project called Collinsville Pollen Trail, recently honored by the Town of Canton.
Key Skills & Competencies
Community organizer and activist with expertise in bringing together diverse groups to amplify environmental, educational, and sustainability issues. Early career work in media and visual arts as a documentary filmmaker (Slamdance Grand Jury Prize winner) grew an ability to uncover and tell the story in programs work that moves individuals and entities toward collective action.
WeHateToWaste.com | Content Manager / Web Content Contributor | NYC, NY (remote) | 1 year
Co-edited and managed a multi-author blog platform created and founded by sustainability expert, Jacquie Ottman.
• Wrote articles related to waste and parenting.
• Actively researched, solicited and selected content that supported the mission to share how people around the globe live less wastefully and further the discussion of consumption habits, offering ways to shift collective thinking to stop the waste cycle.
• Researched images, created graphics, photo layouts; managed, monitored and modified content via CMS.
J. Ottman Consulting | Assistant / Jr. Consultant | NYC, NY | less than 1 year
[Specialty eco-consulting firm that specialized in helping Fortune 500 companies meet consumers’ needs in sustainable ways]
• Supported principal in conveying messaging strategies for companies to embrace and incorporate sustainability for the triple-bottom line (people + planet = profit).
• Provided client management, project tracking and presentation support to principal, Jacquie Ottman.
• Reinforced marketing strategies through social media, website updates and newsletter communications.
• Researched client products, consumer trends, environmental impacts and zero waste concepts.
Crashcourse Documentaries | Producer, Co-Director, Co-Writer | Los Angeles, CA | 5 years
Co-created an award-winning documentary film ABEL RAISES CAIN. Nurtured its evolution from concept and production through promotion, screening and distribution.
• Raised funds, performed research, organized archival material and was hands-on (DIY) for all aspects of the
creative process, filming, and editing.
• Promoted and independently marketed and distributed the film.
• Post-release: engaged in panels, audience Q&As, and visited high school and college classrooms in the U.S. to
discuss the independent filmmaking process.
• Solidarity Equity Education (S.E.E. CT) | Parent Leader and Team Member | Canton, CT
Nonprofit working to bring together students, parents, educators, and the community to strive for equity in K-12 curriculum.
• Collinsville Pollen Trail | Community Organizer and Project Leader | Canton, CT
Community planting effort to build an extended native plant garden, mitigate invasive plants, and promote pollinators.
• Canton Schools and Board of Education Issues | Parent Activist and Community Advocate | Canton, CT
Organized families and the school community to improve several key issues around student wellbeing, environmental health, and quality of distance learning.
• Active Member and Secretary of the Canton Conservation Commission | Canton, CT
• Active Member, Democratic Town Committee | Canton, CT
B.A., Visual and Media Arts (Television/Video Production) | Emerson College, Boston, MA
CSBA (Certified Sustainable Building Advisor) Training Program | Santa Monica College, Santa Monica, CA
Michigan State University | Music Performance and Communications | E. Lansing, MI
Grand Jury Prize at Slamdance Film Festival, Special Jury Award at Newport International Film Festival, Audience Award at Sarasota Film Festival, Best Documentary at Lake County Film Festival, Best Documentary at HardAcre Film Festival, Best Director Award at Fargo Film Festival