Commercial Investment - Finance
Financial Professional with diverse industry experience gained in Asia, USA and UK. Indepth experience in Commercial Investment and Risk Analysis. Widely regarded as a conceptual long-range thinker with an innate ability to immediately assess challenging problems/issues. Implements quick resolution with innovative, independent thinking and by building consensus with stakeholders. Thrives on developing people to excellence.
Key Skills & Competencies
Portfolio Risk Management
Risk Analytics, Data Analytics
GE CAPITAL CORPORATION 5 years
Risk Analytics & Consistency Leader – Southeast Asia
Led risk analytics for platforms that included products such as syndicated loans, hire purchase, factoring, NPL. Implemented accurate capital allocation by
(i) assigning appropriate risk rating assessed via scenario and sensitivity analysis; appropriated risk rated each loan facility in compliance with international reporting standard definitions, and
(ii) re-leveraging of applicable financial products.
Developed the first Loss Given Default model for factoring product, securing approval from GE Corporate.
Drove and implemented, in collaboration with Risk & Collections dept., the development of specific delinquency and default definition for NPL, factoring and loan products for accurate risk assessment.
Developed the standard operating procedures, for correct risk reporting enabling accurate determination of reserve ratios, and guided Operations and IT in implementation.
Drove an understanding and awareness of the importance of assigning the correct product to new transactions for accurate leverage ratio and capital allocation.
Created from ground up, the mark-to-market model for commodity inventory financing, a new product.
Recognized internally as an expert in Southeast Asia economy and market.
Senior Restructure/Workout Specialist, Danbury, CT
Responsible for minimizing loss across the portfolios managed in the three platforms. Conducted restructuring of viable corporations, forbearance negotiations, judgment/foreclosure, litigation, asset liquidation and bankruptcy resulting in Loss Mitigation of $17M.
Conceptualized and executed strategy to mitigate $3M loss, due to under-collateralized position, on debt investment in a redeployed printing company that had an asset purchase offer from a private equity firm.
- Led a distressed plastic film sheet company to profitability by developing a business strategy that involved downsizing to fewer lucrative customer base and controlling expenses. This resulted in $1.2MM loss mitigation, credit enhancement, larger fee income by redeploying the under-utilized equipment to new lessee via coordination of the asset dept.
- Formulated and implemented an innovative restructure of a poultry company and implemented an appropriate repayment schedule, resulting in credit enhancement by taking liens and security interest.
- Drove negotiations and challenged internal and counterparty lawyers to reach quick feasible settlement after quickly assessing non-viability of a company.
- Managed and oversaw foreclosed collateral to maximize full recovery by working out lucrative deals with the agents. As a result of excellent rapport with textile equipment agent, sold large looms above net investment.
- Implemented opportunities to generate additional income for the Bank through default fee income by developing standard operating procedures for calculating default fee and including in payoff letter.
- Led streamlining of the deal submission process resulting in reduced approval time. Co-led improvement on e-Audit process resulting in reduced reporting time.
- Served as an expert on risk assessment for new investment. Participated weekly in Watch list and Delinquency meetings to identify potential risk in portfolios of assigned regions. As part of the workout team developed and presented to assigned regions the advantages of early detection of distressed company.
- Workout and Collection analysts, Minority Owned Business members of Business Linc, and YMCA members.
HABIB ALLIED INTERNATIONAL BANK, PLC, London, UK
Senior UK Credit Analyst:
- Managed a corporate portfolio of £90 million, and underwrote investment proposals for property investment, construction, project finance, financing for off-shore companies, export/import working capital and factoring.
- Introduced Factoring as a standard product in collaboration with Euler Hermes and Bibby Factoring
- Formulated a Country Risk Rating Matrix, Transaction Profitability Grid, and stream-lined the credit underwriting process and proposal
FIRST INTERNATIONAL BANK, (acquired by UPS Capital), Hartford, CT - USA
Asst. Vice President 2 years
Excellent experience in project finance; structure finance; equipment finance; commercial mortgage;
export/import working capital lines; trade finance; U.S. Government agencies financing such as SBA, USDA, and Ex-Im Bank; credit scoring systems such as Fair Isaac and Experian; and business and personal credit reports such as Dun & Bradstreet and TransUnion
- Structured/restructured domestic and international credit proposals for new and existing customers/counter party. Transaction size ranged from $250k to $10M. Presented transactions to the Credit Committee
- Managed a portfolio of corporate clients, and conducted loan review on periodic basis
- Collaborated with other financial institutions with regards to syndicated loans, such as sharing ABL with Citibank, First Union, and Fleet Boston
- Worked with the Investment Department to structure the new and/or existing loans for sale in the secondary market
- Extensive interface with bank dealing room, compliance, legal, accounting, documentation, and exposure management
- Actively marketed product portfolio to prospective clients
- Mentored the designated junior credit officers in enhancing their analytical skills.
Credit Analyst 2 years
- Conducted financial/cash-flow analysis, and risk and collateral analysis to determine the credit worthiness of the existing/prospective customers located in the U.S.A., South America, Ghana, Egypt, Turkey, India, Philippines, and South Korea
- Underwrote credit proposals for renewing the working capital financing of the existing customers financing for eligible customers.
M.B.A., Finance and Invest. - Institute of Business Administration, Karachi, Pakistan
B.A., Economics and Psychology - St. Joseph’s College; Karachi, Pakistan
Credit Training: Robert Morris Associate and Moody’s credit training course; Credit Markets Syndication,
Credit Default Swaps, CFS University: Advanced Cash Flow; Loan & Transaction Structuring